Addiction recovery Ireland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

welcome to the Addiction recovery Ireland forums

4 posters

How important are computers and the internet in your life?

ainekav
    ainekav

Rep : 1

How important are computers and the internet in your life?  Empty How important are computers and the internet in your life?

Post by ainekav Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:21 am

Hi guys,

We were talking about this a few weeks ago. Personally, I couldn't live without my laptop and the internet - I was without it for a few months there recently and it was very difficult to keep up to date with work and communication. And Job hunting was a disaster....

I also can't live without it for webtexts and internet banking, because I find it is more cost-effective to send webtexts rather than wasting your credit. Same with emails - I email everyone, instead of phoning them.

For entertainment, we decided to get good internet instead of splashing out on good TV - so we have the normal cable channels, but anything else we can watch online.

Another great thing that I've started to do online is read newspapers and catch up on world news.
    Although sometimes, I think the internet is too fast and too quick to announce tragedies and accidents - often with false information that can be very very dangerous. It can also mean that people are disrespectful about sensitive issues like death, etc. For example, the video of the chinese toddler being killed last week by a car. I didn't watch it, but a lot of people I know did. Why would you watch a child being killed?

I suppose there is very good points and very bad points to the internet
    Any thoughts?
    Tom O Brien
    Tom O Brien
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 11

How important are computers and the internet in your life?  Empty Re: How important are computers and the internet in your life?

Post by Tom O Brien Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 am

The internet is the new literacy. My mother who is 73 signed up to Facebook recently. You can find you ancestors if you lost them in the first place.

I have started to down load films on my iTunes instead of having to go out and rent a film.

Its a great way to communicate with friends who are far away. Imagine if your reading this tomorrow, I am influencing how you think, with out even being present!

The forum is away to connect with like minded people through out the world. Lets make this forum the biggest in Ireland for anyone who wants to learn about addiction and more importantly recovery!

How many people out there are alone, depressed and suicidal? Can we attract them into the forum to make new friends?

Thanks

Tom

ainekav
    ainekav

How important are computers and the internet in your life?  Empty Re: How important are computers and the internet in your life?

Post by ainekav Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:27 pm

speaking of the future,

I recently did this - wrote myself an email to be sent back to me in 5 years time.

Ha ha ha Dangerous or what?!!

http://www.futureme.org/
    Dave
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 9

Post by Dave Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah I have to agree, I coulnt live without access to the internet, I use it so much everyday that it would be hard to fill the time with anything else.

It has its good and bad points though the net has given me alot but it has also taken alot away from me because i dedicated so much time to it.

Tom O Brien
    Tom O Brien
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 11

Post by Tom O Brien Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Maybe we should try one day without our computers, laptops, iPhones, gadgets, TV's and see how we feel?

Imagine what we would achieve, if we all did something for someone else on that day!

Imagine what we would achieve for ourselves even is we just looked after 'me' for one day!
    ainekav
    ainekav

Post by ainekav Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 am

Well I have just finished a two month period of no internet! I went to the library/net cafe every day to check my emails. I had to really, for work etc.

I have gone without a phone for a few days before and that is a lot worse.
    Lucky Lucky
    Lucky Lucky

Post by Lucky Lucky Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:58 pm

I gust sent my future me a message affraid
    Dave
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Dave Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 pm

davidmoore wrote:I gust sent my future me a message affraid

must give this a go myself, i would probably forget and freak out years later
    ainekav
    ainekav

Post by ainekav Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:09 am

Here is the link to sending yourself a future message

Dave
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Dave Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:13 am

ainekav wrote:Here is the link to sending yourself a future message

Thanks Aine

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm