welcome to the Addiction recovery Ireland forums


    Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Share
    avatar
    Tom O Brien
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 84
    Rep : 11
    Join date : 2011-09-14
    Age : 50
    Location : Finglas

    Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Tom O Brien on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:05 am

    This question comes up from time to time in Sankalpa. To really understand addicts, you have to have an addiction! If that was the true, then there would be no addiction, because all the addicts would be helping each other!

    But hey what do I know! I would really love to hear what you have to say?
    avatar
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 130
    Rep : 9
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Location : www.Sankalpa.ie

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Dave on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:03 pm

    I can see your point but also i think that train of thought comes from people who are addicted to something finding it hard to relate to non addicts.. maybe the feeling is a recovered addict would be able to understand better what there dealing with.

    I think that recovered addicts could play a big role in helping people to cope because he/she already has


    Last edited by Admin on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Tom O Brien
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 84
    Rep : 11
    Join date : 2011-09-14
    Age : 50
    Location : Finglas

    Help

    Post by Tom O Brien on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:51 pm

    I think to be able to help people you need empathy. Just because you have used drugs does not give you a monopoly on empathy. I think addiction treatment is overly medicalized. Most people on methadone are living passively. I like existential philosophy. The meaning of the word to exist, means to stand out, i.e. to exist is to stand out from the crowd. Most of us live quite lives of desperation. What do you think?
    avatar
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 130
    Rep : 9
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Location : www.Sankalpa.ie

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Dave on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm

    Tom O Brien wrote: I think addiction treatment is overly medicalized.

    i agree with this,
    Doctors give there legal equivalents to people far too willingly.
    There seems to be alot less diagnoses and a no solution attitude to substitute one substance for another,
    just because the drug someone may be addicted to is legal does not mean that they are not an addict though im sure alot of people would find this mentality easy to adopt, especially if it "supposedly" solves the problem


    Tom O Brien wrote: Most people on methadone are living passively.

    yeah thats true but could this be more than likely because the craving for heroin would be subdued by the methadone?
    avatar
    dayo

    Posts : 39
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2011-10-17
    Age : 47
    Location : finglas

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by dayo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm

    no i dont think you would have to have been on drugs to help anyone
    doctors dont have to have cancer to help a cancer victom affraid
    avatar
    dayo

    Posts : 39
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2011-10-17
    Age : 47
    Location : finglas

    yes drug addicts are over medicalized so they stop addicts commiting crimes

    Post by dayo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:25 pm

    Dave wrote:
    Tom O Brien wrote: I think addiction treatment is overly medicalized.

    i agree with this,
    Doctors give there legal equivalents to people far too willingly.
    There seems to be alot less diagnoses and a no solution attitude to substitute one substance for another,
    just because the drug someone may be addicted to is legal does not mean that they are not an addict though im sure alot of people would find this mentality easy to adopt, especially if it "supposedly" solves the problem


    Tom O Brien wrote: Most people on methadone are living passively.

    yeah thats true but could this be more than likely because the craving for heroin would be subdued by the methadone?
    avatar
    deaf joe

    Posts : 38
    Rep : 3
    Join date : 2011-10-22
    Location : Cabra

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by deaf joe on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 am

    Hey Tom, what are you talking about... sounds like a load of baloney!
    avatar
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 130
    Rep : 9
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Location : www.Sankalpa.ie

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Dave on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:25 am

    deaf joe wrote:Hey Tom, what are you talking about... sounds like a load of baloney!

    I think what he means is would an ex user be better able to help someone than a person with no experience with whatever drug it is!

    I think it has it's place like a cancer patient will usually talk to a survivor for advice because they have already coped through there addiction, they might have more of an insight into it.

    Then again I could be totally wrong.

    Just my 2 cents
    avatar
    dayo

    Posts : 39
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2011-10-17
    Age : 47
    Location : finglas

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by dayo on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm

    no you dont have to be an ex user to help an addict.relax def joe:x
    avatar
    ainekav

    Posts : 41
    Rep : 1
    Join date : 2011-10-10
    Age : 30
    Location : North Dublin City

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by ainekav on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 pm

    I don't think you have to be an addict or an ex-user to help an addict - the experience can definitely help and you will be able to identify with the person with the addiction

    BUT people who specialise in addiction recovery are trained and the information they are given comes from experiences with addicts - so essentially they are getting info from ex-addicts on how to help addicts

    am i making sense here

    anyway - a lot of people have past experience of addiction, alcohol, smoking, gambling etc. that would qualify them to help an addict
    avatar
    Tom O Brien
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 84
    Rep : 11
    Join date : 2011-09-14
    Age : 50
    Location : Finglas

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Tom O Brien on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:18 pm

    I suppose we're all addicted to something... when we talk about addiction we often talk about heroin or alcohol, but there are many other addictions... so I suppose the key is that we should all help each other if we can...
    avatar
    deaf joe

    Posts : 38
    Rep : 3
    Join date : 2011-10-22
    Location : Cabra

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by deaf joe on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:04 am

    dayo wrote:no i dont think you would have to have been on drugs to help anyone
    doctors dont have to have cancer to help a cancer victom affraid

    Good one dayo... well put man
    avatar
    alec

    Posts : 12
    Rep : 0
    Join date : 2011-11-03
    Age : 43
    Location : finglas

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by alec on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 am

    Dave wrote:
    Tom O Brien wrote: I think addiction treatment is overly medicalized.

    i agree with this,
    Doctors give there legal equivalents to people far too willingly.
    There seems to be alot less diagnoses and a no solution attitude to substitute one substance for another,
    just because the drug someone may be addicted to is legal does not mean that they are not an addict though im sure alot of people would find this mentality easy to adopt, especially if it "supposedly" solves the problem


    Tom O Brien wrote: Most people on methadone are living passively.

    yeah thats true but could this be more than likely because the craving for heroin would be subdued by the methadone?





    i was living pasively on meds until i came to sankalpa and found a differnt and better way to get clean you see i feel safe understud and beleved.i could write all day but people sould not be afreid to try something new Very Happy
    avatar
    abbieruby

    Posts : 64
    Rep : 11
    Join date : 2011-11-03
    Age : 34
    Location : Finglas East.

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by abbieruby on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:06 am

    No i don't think so!,yes its gud if they've been through the same stuff, but mayb someone seen it 1st hand from a family member r just has a great passion 2 help addicts. Neutral xx

    ian

    Posts : 5
    Rep : 1
    Join date : 2011-10-10

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by ian on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 am

    no u dont have to be a former addict to understand addicts, but it does help tom. people who have never been strung out can still help and understand addicts and even educate them on the dangers, after all some poject workers in sankalpa have been tru collage for 4 to 5 years studying and thats longer than some people have been strung out in here. every time some1 helps you, regardless of if they are former addicts or not, they are trying to point u in the direction of a drug free life. hope u appriciate the input tom??????
    avatar
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 130
    Rep : 9
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Location : www.Sankalpa.ie

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Dave on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:24 am

    A passion to help is enough I'm sure, but it could be inspiring to meet someone who has done what they are about to go through, just to see it is possible..
    avatar
    deaf joe

    Posts : 38
    Rep : 3
    Join date : 2011-10-22
    Location : Cabra

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by deaf joe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 am

    alec wrote:
    Dave wrote:
    Tom O Brien wrote: I think addiction treatment is overly medicalized.

    i agree with this,
    Doctors give there legal equivalents to people far too willingly.
    There seems to be alot less diagnoses and a no solution attitude to substitute one substance for another,
    just because the drug someone may be addicted to is legal does not mean that they are not an addict though im sure alot of people would find this mentality easy to adopt, especially if it "supposedly" solves the problem


    Tom O Brien wrote: Most people on methadone are living passively.

    yeah thats true but could this be more than likely because the craving for heroin would be subdued by the methadone?





    i was living pasively on meds until i came to sankalpa and found a differnt and better way to get clean you see i feel safe understud and beleved.i could write all day but people sould not be afreid to try something new Very Happy


    nice one alec
    avatar
    elaine.hayden

    Posts : 59
    Rep : 5
    Join date : 2011-09-15

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by elaine.hayden on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 pm

    i think someone not haven the same addiction as you can be a good thing they wont fall for all your excuses and can give you the push in the right direction
    avatar
    abbieruby

    Posts : 64
    Rep : 11
    Join date : 2011-11-03
    Age : 34
    Location : Finglas East.

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by abbieruby on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:37 pm

    dayo wrote:no i dont think you would have to have been on drugs to help anyone
    doctors dont have to have cancer to help a cancer victom affraid

    Very good point dayo Surprised , I don't think people have to be addicted to help addicts either xx Surprised
    avatar
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 130
    Rep : 9
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Location : www.Sankalpa.ie

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Dave on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:19 am

    [quote="abbieruby"]
    dayo wrote:
    doctors dont have to have cancer to help a cancer victom affraid

    its not quite the same though, cancer requires medical treatment and operations.

    however cancer survivors do visit cancer patients to try help and comfort them and act as an inspiration to those who have it that there is hope.
    avatar
    deaf joe

    Posts : 38
    Rep : 3
    Join date : 2011-10-22
    Location : Cabra

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by deaf joe on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:24 am

    I think if doctors had cancer they would try to improve its treatment... I think there should be addicts trained as doctors.... the class system is keeping us down... com on how many go to college from cabra?
    avatar
    Dave
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 130
    Rep : 9
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Location : www.Sankalpa.ie

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Dave on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:56 am

    deaf joe wrote:I think if doctors had cancer they would try to improve its treatment...


    very true

    Sponsored content

    Re: Do you have to have an addiction to be able to help people with an addiction?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am